Monday, March 1, 2010

What a Weekend

Kolaches, gambling and wedding invitations.  This past weekend was filled with a little bit of everything.  Friday afternoon, Kyle and I drove to El Campo to go gambling at Coushatta on Saturday and order our save-the-dates and wedding invitations on Sunday.  My friend, Tiffany, even came to EC to go with us on Saturday. 

Saturday morning I woke up earlier than any human should be awake (4:00 A.M.)  I had to get ready early enough to go get kolaches before we loaded the bus at 5:45.  Every time we go to EC, we get kolaches from Daylight Donuts.  I am addicted to them.  The dough is sweet and buttery and the ham to cheese ratio is perfect.  After our breakfast stop, we made our way to Wal-Mart for a day filled of bus riding, free drinks and money risking fun.   

I was a little skeptical about riding a bus all the way to Louisiana.  I think the 2.5 hour trip to EC is long enough.  Being seated for 5 hours straight was going to be a challenge.  Before I start describing the trip, I'll give you an overview of how it was supposed to be.  The bus we were riding was SUPPOSED to be a private bus, and it was SUPPOSED to leave Wal-Mart at 5:45.  There was another bus in front of us that other people from EC were riding on.  We were to make one stop in Rosenburg to pick up some more people to be seating in the other bus.  After that, it was full speed ahead to Coushatta.

Here's how the trip really went.  We didn't pull out of the parking lot until 6:00 A.M.  After making the 45 minute trip to Rosenburg, we discovered that the other bus was overbooked, so they seated the overflow of people on our bus.  That didn't exactly go over very well with some of the people from our group.  After all the confusion, we finally got back on the road and were headed for the casino.  I was taking a nice little nap when I realized we stopped AGAIN.  Once again, because of the other bus.  Gggrrrr!!!  It had to change drivers.  I had never been on one of the bus trips before, so I had no idea how everything worked.  If you ask me, they make the entire process way too complicated.

Finally, we made it to the casino.  Time to get some free drinks and watch other people lose their money.  I am not a gambler.  I don't think it's enjoyable to put my money in a machine or on a table and have someone take it.  I'm not hating on the people that are risk takers.  More power to ya.  There's a reason they say, "You can't win if you don't play."  That statement is totally true.  However, I rarely win, so I don't like to play  :(

My friend, Tiffany, is a risk taker.  She headed straight for the poker tables.  Kyle is the same way, but he plays the craps table.  We started by standing at a table and just watching people play.  I guess the waitress thought we were playing, because she kept bringing us drinks.....score!!!  After watching other people for a while and doing a google search, Kyle was ready to play.  He actually did pretty good.  He started to gain some money, but then he lost some too. Overall, I think we had a great time at the casino.  The bus ride home was another story.  The other bus that was in front of us starting have engine problems on the way home.  Of course, our bus had to stop and "help them".  By "help them", I mean park behind them and sit on the side of the road for half an hour.  After sitting and waiting, the bus drivers solution was to let 10 people from the other bus onto our bus, and then we could leave.  I mentioned earlier that our bus was SUPPOSED to be private.  Once we heard their "solution"......I'll just say that shit hit the fan.  I was sitting next to Tiffany, so Kyle was sitting by himself. A fowl smelling man tried to sit next to Kyle.  He turned around and looked at me with absolute terror in his eyes.  It was hilarious.  There was a cooler in the isle, so Kyle was trying to explain to the man that he had to move it. Luckly, there was a communication barrier between Kyle and Mr. Body Odor, so he moved to a different seat.  Crisis averted! 

The next morning, I went to get some more kolaches for breakfast.  Yeah, I think they are that good.  Before heading back to Austin, Kyle and I ordered our save-the-dates and wedding invitations from a girl I went to high school with.  I was super excited, because they cost much less than I had anticipated.  I can't wait to see them.  We should be mailing our save-the-dates at the end of the month, so look for them in the mail.


  1. We're ordering them from Corri. She has a lot of great stuff.